Road Permits

Page hero image

We are aware of the needs of the community to temporarily use part of the road, parking lane or footpath for different purposes. There are a number of permits required in accordance with the Roads Act 1993 such as:

  1. On-street (Temporary) Parking Permit
  2. Road Occupancy Permit
  3. Hoarding Permit
  4. Work Zone (parking) permit
  5. Driveway and/or Road Opening Permit
  6. Shipping Container Permit (for construction purposes only)
  7. Driveway Linemarking
  8. Temporary Road Closures for events or street party

For more information about these permits, please contact the Traffic and Transport Section on 02 4974 2000.

On-street (temporary) Parking Permit

A temporary parking permit is available to reserve or book parking bays on the road within Council LGA area. This type of permit is used when the required parking bays are signposted with parking restrictions (ie. 15 Minute, 1 hour, 2 hour, Loading Zone, etc). The permit allows the applicant/s to park in the parking bay for longer than the signposted time limit. A temporary parking permit cannot be issued in an unrestricted parking zone.

On-street (temporary) parking permits are useful for the following purposes:

  1. Building/office maintenance works
  2. Loading and unloading
  3. Renovation works
  4. Events - bus/coach parking
  5. VIP's visit - to reserve space in advance
  6. Small charity fundraising event
  7. Weddings - to reserve space in advance
  8. Filming
  9. Removalist vans
  10. Placement of skip bins

Read Standard conditions for On-street (Temporary) Parking Permit

How to apply

Complete the application form and submit by email to for assessment.

The application form must be submitted at least four (4) business days before the permit is required.

Road Occupancy Permit

A road occupancy permit is required for the use of part or all of a Council road (roadway or footpath) to carry out different type of works. Common reasons to obtain a road occupancy permit include:

  1. Road works such as gas, watermain, sewer or electrical connections
  2. Concrete pour or major deliveries where safety is an issue
  3. Standing a crane or similar equipment to lift goods or fix building walls
  4. Rail line maintenance
  5. Driveway construction which closes off part of the footpath to pedestrian traffic
  6. Construction adjoining a Council road reserve
  7. Enclosing part of the footpath to repair an awning or building fa├žade (using removable fence or witches hats for short term work - less than one month duration).

Read Standard conditions for close road / lane for construction purposes (PDF)

How to apply

Complete the application form and forward together with a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) in accordance with the 'RMS Traffic Control at Work Sites Manual', and a certificate of currency for $10,000,000 Public Liability Insurance Cover with The City of Newcastle noted as an interested party on the Policy..

For works that require a crane to stand on the roadway, a Police Permit is also necessary.

The application form must be submitted at least five business days before the permit is required, or 20 days prior to commencement of works for a complex construction traffic management plan and/or where a crane is to be used. For works that require a full road closure the application form must be submitted 20 days before the commencement of works.

The application form must be accompanied by a copy of a notification leaflet which will be used to inform nearby residents, businesses or other groups of the upcoming works. A map of the proposed leaflet distribution area must also be included. It will be the applicant’s responsibility to distribute leaflets.

Note: Refer to Hoarding Permit below for Type A or Type B hoarding application requirements.

Work Zone Permit

A work zone permit is a parking permit available for tradesmen, contractors or builders to carry out building/construction works in an area where there is a high parking demand.

It is generally only suitable for long-term works due to the cost and time required to install work zone signage. A signposted work zone is for the sole use of the applicant's (person/company) construction vehicles and allows parking for these vehicles and for the pick-up/set down of construction materials. Work zones are enforced by Council's Parking Compliance Officers and vehicles not related to the construction works can be issued with an infringement notice.

You need to complete the Work Zone application form and submit by email to for assessment.

For extension of an existing Work Zone complete the Work Zone Extension Application Form (PDF) and submit to

Please allow 15 working days for the processing of a work zone application.

Shipping Container Permit (construction purposes only)

Where there is limited available land at properties for building and/or renovation works, owners may apply to occupy part of the road for the placement of a shipping container for the short term storage of construction materials, in accordance with the Roads Act 1993, Section 138.

Complete the application form and submit by email to The application should be accompanied by a certificate of currency for $10,000,000 Public Liability Insurance Cover, with The City of Newcastle noted as an interested party on the Policy.

Driveway Line marking

Due to the high demand for parking on some city streets, motorists sometimes try to squeeze cars into insufficient space near or between driveways. This practice causes inconvenience to residents as it restricts access to their property. One effective initiative has been the installation of driveway line markings to indicate to motorists to park behind the driveway line.

Complete the driveway line marking application form if you wish Council to install lines at your driveway. Please note that these lines are not 'legally enforceable' however, it has been shown that the majority of motorists observe the lines if installed and park accordingly.

Submit the completed application form by email to for assessment.

Driveway and/or Road Opening Permit

Applications for works on public roads such as driveway construction, stormwater drainage connection and/or public utility openings are required under Section 138 of the Roads Act 1993.
Please refer to the Section 138 Application for driveway and/or a Road Opening Permit (Type 1).

Hoarding Permit

A hoarding is a temporary structure built to enclose a footway or part of the roadway for a building site, demolition area, excavation and building works for the purpose of providing public safety and to avoid damage to road infrastructure.

There are two types of hoarding that may require a hoarding permit:

Type A (overhead protective structure) - is a steel framed structure that provides protection to a public place such as a pedestrian pathway underneath the hoarding deck. The structure separates the work area from the public place.

Type B (protective fence) - is a fence installed to enclosed part of the public footway or roadway, with or without scaffolding, and is at least 2 metres in height. It is generally plywood attached to a timber or steel frame to separate a construction site from the public area.

The Hoarding Permit application form should be mailed to

Note: If the works only require enclosing the work area with temporary fencing or witches hats for a short period (less than one month), a road occupancy permit can be applied for rather than a hoarding permit.

Temporary Road Closures for Events

Council encourages various events in the Newcastle area to promote social cohesion and to build an inclusive community. For groups or other organisations wishing to organise an event or gathering requiring a temporary road closure or the use of the road reserve (including the footpath or verge), please see our events planning page for further information.

Place a Building Waste Container on a Public Roadway

Council issues approval for building waste containers to be placed on roadways including footpaths. A building waste container placed on a private property does not require consent from Council.

If you wish to place a building waste container contact a supplier who will advise you if they are registered and then submit the application to Council on your behalf.